Communication at End-of-Life: Workshop Series for PSWs in Long-Term Care (Champlain Region Only)
Update: Registration for these workshops is now closed.
In June, the Bruyère CLRI and Algonquin College we will be offering 3 in-service workshops on Communication at End-of-Life for Personal Support Workers (PSWs) in Long-Term Care. The goal of the workshops is to enhance communication skills of PSWs within their team, with residents, and with family members.
Participants must be a Personal Support Worker currently working in a long-term care home in the Champlain region, and must be able to attend all three workshops, as each workshop builds on the previous one.
Cost: All workshops are FREE! Please note that registration is required. (Now closed)
Location: Perley and Rideau Veterans’ Health Centre, 1750 Russell Road, Ottawa, ON
Date: Monday, June 16, 23 and 30, 2014
Time: 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Topics to be explored:
– What is Hospice Palliative Care?
– What do I think and feel about life, death, aging, loss and grief?
– How do I create a therapeutic relationship with the hospice palliative resident and their families?
– What am I saying to a hospice palliative care resident and their families and how do I listen?
– What is my role, who is my team at work and how do I take on leadership?
– Who’s got the power? How to manage conflict?