CALL FOR APPLICATIONS CLOSED
2019 SUMMER INTERNSHIPS IN INNOVATION & AGING
It’s that time again! The Ontario Centres for Learning, Research and Innovation in Long-Term Care at Baycrest is excited to offer students enrolled in post-secondary healthcare professions programs (nursing, medicine, social work, pharmacy, food and nutrition, kinesiology, health sciences, gerontology, **therapeutic recreation) the opportunity to gain knowledge and experience in a long-term care teaching home through a paid summer internship.
Over 7 weeks, successful candidates will actively participate in small group learning focused on aging, clinical issues in gerontology, evaluation techniques and interprofessional competencies. Interns will engage in, and further their understanding of, the practice setting by learning alongside healthcare providers, attending clinical rounds, being paired with a resident and engaging in arts-based and game-based learning.
Interns will also be teamed with a mentor to take part in a program evaluation, quality improvement, or innovation project. This internship will include opportunities to network, job shadow, and observe first-hand the role that both individual disciplines, as well as interprofessional collaboration, play across the continuum of geriatric services at Baycrest. Interns will also be immersed in a virtual learning environment to foster competencies in seniors care.
To learn more about the internship, listen to a video produced by our interns in collaboration with the Toronto International Film Festival Reel Comfort Program at: https://youtu.be/dgkT8r_Uwcw
Come experience Baycrest and be part of the next generation of health clinician leaders in gerontology and aging!
Why Intern at Baycrest?
- Explore and learn about aging, the fastest growing field in healthcare
- Apply knowledge to the ‘real’ clinical world
- Develop program evaluation, library and evidence-based practice skills
- Add excellent experience to your résumé
- Make contacts and expand your network
- Explore career options, including job shadowing
- Applications will be accepted from January 2 to 28, 2019 and will be reviewed on an on-going basis. Applications must be received at the latest by 5:00 PM January 28, 2019. Early applications are encouraged.
- Interviews will take place early February 2019
- Most decisions will be made by: February 15, 2019
- Internship start date: July 2, 2019
- Internship end date: August 16, 2019
At the time of application, students must be enrolled in an academic institution in a post-secondary healthcare profession program (nursing, medicine, social work, pharmacy, food and nutrition, kinesiology, health sciences, gerontology, **therapeutic recreation). By the internship start date, applicants must have completed at least half of their program (e.g., for a 4-year program, you will have completed at least 2 years of the program by the start of the internship).
- Applicants must be permanent residents or citizens of Canada studying in Ontario
- Applicants should have a demonstrated interest and related experience in the field of aging
- **Applicants from a therapeutic recreation college program must have a prior undergraduate degree and/or extensive clinical/volunteer experience
- A police reference check including vulnerable sector screen must have been conducted by a police force in the student’s municipality of residence no more than 6 months prior to July 2, 2019 (Note: For Toronto residents, because it can take more than 8 weeks between submitting a vulnerable sector screen request and receiving the completed screen, we recommend that the screen request be submitted by April 2019)
- Documented proof of a 2 step TB skin test will be required
Terms of Summer Internship
Interns will be expected to:
- complete the full 7 week term
- work full-time Mondays through Fridays (with the exception of statutory holidays)
- develop a learning plan and to engage in self-study
- attend all facilitated learning sessions, activities and rounds
- work on a project and to present the project experience to the Baycrest community
- participate in the virtual learning environment and in the evaluation of the internship
Interns will be paid an hourly minimum wage (up to 35 hours per week)
How to Apply – Checklist
The following documents are required in Word or PDF format. Applications with missing documents will not be accepted.
- An up-to-date résumé that highlights accomplishments, initiative and creativity, as well as interprofessional, leadership and organizational skills using the following headers in the order specified:
- Contact Information: Name, permanent/sessional mailing address, personal/school email address, home/cell number
- Career Goals: Short and long-term
- Education: Current program and university, previous degrees, diplomas and certifications
- Clinical Placements: Supervised student placements/co-ops in clinical settings. Number of hours should be clearly indicated for each placement.
- Work Experience
- Research Experience: Role, project, supervisor, area of focus, and responsibilities. Number of hours should be clearly indicated for each position
- Volunteer Experience: Professional and community-based volunteer activities. Number of hours should be clearly indicated per activity/experience.
- Leadership Experience
- Academic Awards
- Other Awards
- Presentations and Publications
- Other Scholarly Activities
- Other Headers as Needed
- A personal statement of interest in the internship (max. 300 words) describing:
- Interest in gerontology and aging
- Past experiences in gerontology and the field of aging
- Any relevant work experience in research and program evaluation
- The relevance of the internship to future career goals
- A letter of reference from a supervisor or academic referee describing the applicant’s reliability and flexibility, leadership potential, interpersonal and communication skills and suitability for being involved in a geriatric healthcare setting.
- Current transcript or grade reports (official ‘issued to student’ or unofficial versions accepted).
- A completed TCPS 2: CORE certificate. This can be completed here: https://tcps2core.ca/login
Thank you for your interest in this internship program.
Only those candidates being considered for the internship will be contacted.