Applications now open until March 5, 2021.
The Ontario CLRI at Baycrest is excited to offer students enrolled in postsecondary healthcare programs the opportunity to gain knowledge and experience in gerontological practices.
The 2021 Ontario CLRI Virtual Internships in Innovation & Aging offer 4-week temporary paid positions. Interns will be paid an hourly minimum wage up to 27.5 hours per week. There are two 4-week term internships
The 2021 internship will be completely virtual, offering undergraduate students opportunities to actively participate in small group learning focused on aging, clinical issues in gerontology, and interprofessional competencies. Working collaboratively, interns will develop a better understanding of aging and develop competencies in seniors care through daily interaction in ALPHA – a simulation and game-based Accelerator for Learning Inter-Professionally in Healthcare App. In addition, interns will have the opportunity to engage with residents. Interns will also be teamed with a mentor and will participate in an innovative project.
To learn more about the internship, including a video produced by our interns in collaboration with the Toronto International Film Festival Reel Comfort Program visit clri-ltc.ca/resource/internship
Come experience Baycrest and be part of the next generation of health clinician leaders in gerontology and aging!
Why Intern at Baycrest?
- Explore and learn about aging, the fastest growing field in healthcare
- Apply knowledge to simulated scenarios
- Add excellent experience to your résumé
- Make contacts and expand your network
- Explore career options, including exposure to geriatric professionals
- Enjoy flexible and practical benefits of a virtual environment, including day-to-day learning opportunities and mentorship
- Interact and learn from residents, students, educators and leaders in the field
- Applications will be accepted from February 16 to March 5 and will be reviewed on an on-going basis. Early applications are encouraged.
- Most decisions will be made by end of April 2021
- Internship dates: Cohort 1: May 31 – June 30. Cohort 2: July 5– 30.
Terms of Internship
- Work Mondays through Fridays in a virtual setting – includes mandatory daily sessions (up to 3 hours daily)
- Must complete the full 4 weeks of the internship
- Develop a learning plan and to engage in self-study
- Engage effectively with interns, educators, mentors and guests, demonstrating competence in interprofessional communication, collaboration, value and ethics
- Contribute to an innovative project that will be presented to the Baycrest community
- Participate actively in all learning opportunities, including weekly reflections and evaluation of the internship
- Complete daily, weekly and team objectives/goals assigned in ALPHA
At the time of application, students must be enrolled in or must have graduated in the past 12 months from an Ontario academic institution in an undergraduate degree program relating to a health care profession (e.g., health sciences, nursing, medicine, social work, psychology, occupational therapy, physiotherapy, pharmacy, food and nutrition and therapeutic recreation**).
By the internship start date, applicants must have completed at least half of their program (e.g., for a 4-year program, you will have completed at least 2 years of the program by the start of the internship) or have graduated within the past year.
Applicants must be permanent residents or citizens of Canada studying in Ontario.
**Applicants from a therapeutic recreation college program must have a prior undergraduate degree and/or extensive clinical/volunteer experience.
Note: This internship will be 100% virtual. Successful candidates will be required to have the appropriate technology to participate in all activities – internet access/data plan, personal computer access, webcam and microphone.
How to Apply
- Review Eligibility Requirements and Dates of Internships and ensure availability and all requirements are met.
- Application Submission: Prepare and record a 2- minute video explaining your interest and future career goals in the field of aging and why you are a good fit for this internship (i.e., an ‘elevator pitch’). Complete online application and upload video and résumé along with an academic transcript.
- Reference Submission/s: Qualified applications will be notified to provide contact information for 2 references.
1. Short Virtual Interview: A shortlist of qualified candidates will be contacted to conduct a short virtual interview.
2. Successful Candidates: Successful interns will be notified by April 2, 2021.
Thank you for your interest in this internship program. Only those candidates being considered for the internship will be contacted.