The Ontario CLRI at the Schlegel-UW Research Institute for Aging (RIA) is thrilled to announce that a second education training option has been added to the PSW Education Fund. LTC homes can now enroll for tuition and backfill pay for team members to complete the LIVING the Dementia Journey (LDJ) program.
LDJ is an award-winning, evidence-informed training program for those who support people living with dementia. Participants gain awareness and understanding that changes not only the way they view dementia, but the way they support people living with it. The program was created by the RIA’s Murray Alzheimer Research and Education Program in collaboration with people living with dementia and their care partners.
“LIVING the Dementia Journey is a game changing education program that we are proud to be able to offer to long-term care homes province-wide,” said Frances Morton-Chang, RIA’s director of dementia programs. “The program reframes what it is like to live with dementia, from the perspectives of those living with it, and provides practical and affirming strategies so team members can better support resident quality of life and well-being.”
The LDJ program:
- Increases understanding of dementia and provides a new perspective on the experience of living with it
- Applies a person-centred approach to provide individualized support
- Enhances skills in relationship-building to support individuals with compassion and respect
- Shares strategies to recognize, interpret, and respond to personal expressions (behaviours)
- Addresses ways to tackle boredom, loneliness, and helplessness by creating opportunities for meaning, purpose and growth
Due to pandemic restrictions, LDJ will be offered virtually through an 8-hour virtual workshop. Ontario long-term care homes can enroll online: visit the PSW Education Fund website.
The Fund also supports tuition and backfill for the virtual delivery of the Excellence in Resident-Centred Care (ERCC) course to support homes in adopting person-centred models of care, a priority identified in the recent recommendations from the Ontario Long-Term Care COVID-19 Commission. ERCC was co-developed by Conestoga College and the RIA.
The PSW Education Fund is funded by the Ministry of Long-Term Care.