The Behavioural Supports Ontario Sexual Expression and Dementia Working Group is pleased to announce the release of its first e-module: ‘Dementia and Sexuality: An Introduction’.
This free e-module, developed with the support of the Regional Geriatric Program-Central (RGPc), is available on the ‘Geriatric Essentials’ (previously called Frailty E-Learning) website, which presents learners with an array of e-modules about topics such as cognition and depression: https://geriatricessentialselearning.ca/
‘Dementia and Sexuality: An Introduction’ employs a case-based approach with the aim of inviting learners to understand how people living with dementia may express their unmet needs, including those pertaining to sexuality and intimacy. Since myths and stereotypes about sexuality and dementia are firmly established so much so that they shape our interactions, they are explored in the e-module along with practical strategies to support people living with dementia across various settings.
- Content and narration available in English and French
- Interactive exercises are included in each case study
- Flexible pause points with the option to save one’s progress
- Opportunity to participate in pre- and post- surveys to evaluate the e-module
- Option to download a certificate of completion
- Accessible on computer, tablet, and smartphone devices
- Free of charge!
The introductory e-module is the first of a four-part series, each addressing complex themes about the sexual and intimacy needs of people living with dementia. The Ontario CLRI team is joining the working group for the development of the next three modules in the series.