The Preceptor Resource and Education Program in Long-Term Care (PREP LTC) provides long-term care (LTC) home funding to help increase the quality of and capacity for clinical student placements in Ontario.
Year 3 of PREP LTC is now open! There are changes in funding amounts and how LTC homes can allocate funds.
This year offers a flexible funding mix of up to $40,000 or more, giving homes the freedom to use the funds where they’re needed most! Pick the best option to meet your home’s clinical student placement needs.
• Receive $30K student placement coordination funds within 60 days of registering, plus up to $10K in backfill/honoraria or more.
• Receive up to $40K solely for backfill/honoraria or more.
Both options include unlimited eLearning Course funding, which homes receive within 60 days of team members completing the preceptor course.
*The backfill/honoraria amount depends on the total number of students registered and the number of homes that apply.
• Preceptor backfill and honoraria funding
Homes in Ontario will be eligible for funding for clinical student placements for the time preceptors spend supervising students, IENs or SPEP candidates.
• $2,000 per PSW student
• $3,600 per PN, BScN or NP nursing student
• $3,600 per IEN (from any program) or SPEP candidate
• Student placement coordination funding
Funding for student placement coordination support is available to establish or expand a student placement coordinator position to alleviate LTC homes’ administrative burden.
• $30,000 for role start-up or expansion
• Preceptor eLearning Course funding
Specially designed education and resources help build positive experiences for students and preceptors, which support the recruitment and retention of team members in the LTC sector.
• $210 to backfill each team member who completes the eLearning Course (including, for example, social workers, recreation therapists, etc.)
Funding payments to LTC homes occur within 60 days of team members enrolling for student placement coordination support or completing the preceptor eLearning Course.
Preceptor backfill and honoraria funding payments happen roughly 60 days after the fiscal year-end on March 31, 2024.
- LTC homes must enroll in PREP LTC and register for student placement coordination support by December 19, 2023, to be eligible for funding. If requesting student placement coordination funding, select the option at the time of enrollment.
- Homes must register students by January 31, 2024.
- LTC homes must spend all funds by March 31, 2024.
Regional Engagement Liaison (RELs) will connect with LTC homes to provide support and ensure homes have access to all the funding for which they are qualified.
Enroll today at clri-prepltc.ca!
PREP LTC is led by the Ontario Centres for Learning, Research and Innovation in Long-Term Care (CLRI) at the Schlegel-UW Research Institute for Aging in collaboration with the Ontario CLRI teams at Baycrest Health Sciences and Bruyère. The views expressed herein do not necessarily reflect those of the Province.
The PREP LTC eLearning Course was developed by the Ontario CLRI at Baycrest and is built on the successes of the Ministry-funded Preceptor Education Program (PEP) in collaboration with the Faculty of Health Sciences at the University of Western Ontario and with Fanshawe College School of Nursing.