The BSO-DOS© (Behavioural Supports Ontario-Dementia Observation System): Sharing Implementation Strategies!
About the Presenters:
Lori Schindel Martin, RN, PhD, GNC(C) is a mixed methods researcher, educator and advanced practice nurse. She is a Professor in the Daphne Cockwell School of Nursing, Faculty of Community Services, Ryerson University, Toronto, ON. Lori’s background includes over 25 years as a clinical nurse specialist in gerontological practice in acute care, complex continuing care and long-term care. During this period she worked with older clients in nephrology and renal dialysis as well as geriatric mental health. Lori has a passion for contributing to the development of clinical knowledge gained through ground-level, applied clinical research. Lori believes that older people living with chronic illnesses such as dementia deserve inter-professional care that is person-centred, humanistic, evidence-informed, tailored, safe and effective. Lori’s program of scholarship focuses on the development of theory-driven, practical educational programs that enhance best practices related to responsive behavior such as reluctance for bathing and sexual expression. She was lead curriculum developer and editor for Gentle Persuasive Approaches and a Co-Chair of the 2016-17 revision panel of the RNAO’s 3Ds best practice guidelines. Lori has presented on topics relevant to the health care of older people at national and international conferences. Lori is President of the Canadian Gerontological Nursing Association (CGNA).
Debbie Hewitt Colborne, RN, MScN, GNC(C) is an Advanced Practice Nurse with experience and expertise working with older adults within long-term care, the community and hospital settings. Her current work at the Behavioural Supports Ontario (BSO) Provincial Coordinating Office is centred on activities that support and advance the BSO initiative.
At the end of the session, participants will be able to:
- Describe the innovations within the new BSO-DOS© and its value for practice within their interprofessional teams
- Access available resources to support the implementation and meaningful utilization of the BSO-DOS© within their organization (i.e. Start-Up Checklist, User Guide, Resource Manual and Instructional Video)
- Apply successful strategies when implementing the BSO-DOS© from real stories and lessons learned by early adopters
This event will be connected via Zoom Video Conferencing hosted from Baycrest Hospital to various other participating sites.
How to Participate:
Zoom is a versatile platform which allows you to use your desktop, laptop, mobile smart phone or tablet to connect to a video conference.
- You must register for these rounds prior to the start time. Click here to register.
- After registering, you will receive a confirmation email from Zoom containing information about how to join, which will include the link to connect via PC, MAC, Linux, iOS or Android and via telephone.
- Please refer to the link to review the hardware and internet requirements needed to join a Zoom conference.
- Please refer to this link for instruction on how to join Zoom.
- Zoom Pre-test: November 5th and November 12th at 2PM ET. If you are not able to test on these dates or if you have any questions or concerns about Zoom please contact Agnes Cheng Tsallis: firstname.lastname@example.org
- To participate in-person: Baycrest Health Sciences, 3560 Bathurst St. Toronto, Ontario, ABC Classrooms (Hospital, 2nd Floor)
Baycrest Behavioural Support Rounds provide a learning forum to review leading practices in the assessment and supportive management of challenging, responsive behaviours; and offer practical approaches to support the work of front-line healthcare providers in caring for persons with responsive behaviours.
Baycrest Behavioural Support Rounds occur every 3rd Thursday of the month from October – June.
Please note, these rounds are restricted to healthcare professionals and students only.
If you have questions regarding these rounds, or would like to be included in the Baycrest Behavioural Support Rounds distribution list, contact Tania Aragona, Ontario CLRI at Baycrest: email@example.com.
Email Agnes Cheng Tsallis with any Zoom questions: firstname.lastname@example.org