Applications for this program are now closed.
The Ontario CLRI at Baycrest is excited to once again offer the 2023 Virtual Interprofessional Internship in Innovation & Aging in Long-Term Care to current healthcare students, recent graduates and future clinicians in the long-term care and geriatric workforce!
If you are interested in working with older adults and have a passion for innovation and practice change, then this Internship is for you! Gain knowledge in gerontology, develop skills in interprofessional practice, and get to know long-term care through synchronous and asynchronous online activities and an innovation-focused capstone project under the mentorship of Baycrest leaders and experts. This is an exciting opportunity to explore a future in older adult health care, network with future and current health-care providers, and shape your current practice!
The 2023 Virtual Interprofessional Internships in Innovation & Aging offers a 4-week, temporary paid position to accepted candidates from Monday, May 29 to Friday, June 23, 2023. Interns will be paid an hourly minimum wage up to 32.5 hours per week.
The 2023 Internship will be completely virtual, offering post-secondary students and recent graduates opportunities to actively participate in small group learning focused on aging, clinical issues in gerontology, and interprofessional competencies. Working collaboratively, interns will develop a better understanding of aging and develop competencies in seniors’ care through daily interaction in a simulation and game-based app. In addition, interns will have the opportunity to engage with residents, Baycrest leaders and participate in an innovative project.
Come experience Baycrest and be part of the next generation of health clinician leaders in gerontology and aging!
Why intern at Baycrest?
- Explore and learn about aging, the fastest-growing field in healthcare.
- Apply your knowledge to virtually simulated care scenarios.
- Gain valuable and comprehensive work experience for your résumé.
- Make contacts and expand your professional network.
- Explore career options, including exposure to geriatric professionals.
- Enjoy flexible and practical benefits of a virtual environment, including day-to-day learning opportunities and mentorship.
- Interact and learn from residents, students, educators and leaders in the field.
What will you do?
- Meet long-term care team members to explore their roles through facilitated discussions.
- Co-design with end users (i.e. older adults, family members, residents) to solve pain points in long-term care in a capstone project.
- Participate in small-group, facilitated sessions on essential topics in gerontology (e.g. dementia, palliative care) and innovative design thinking.
- Rehearse gerontological best practices through a virtual simulation, serious educational game.
- Apply and practice interprofessional teamwork and clinical reasoning skills to a hybrid simulation activity.
- Develop a learning plan and engage in self-study.
- Participate in weekly reflections.
- Complete 6.5 hours daily of paid activities.
To learn more about the internship, including a video produced by our interns in collaboration with the Toronto International Film Festival Reel Comfort Program visit clri-ltc.ca/resource/internship
Who should apply?
- Students or recent graduates (within the past 12 months) of an Ontario university or college, in a degree program relating to a health-care profession e.g. nursing, medicine, pharmacy, social work, psychology, occupational therapy, physiotherapy, kinesiology, food and nutrition, therapeutic recreation, optometry, dentistry, speech language pathology, audiology, health sciences, health studies.
- Students or recent graduates (within the past 12 months) of an Ontario college in a diploma program for practical nursing or therapeutic recreation.
- Student applicants must have completed at least half of their program (e.g. for a 4-year program, you will have completed at least 2 years of the program) by the internship start date, or have been accepted into an eligible degree program.
- Permanent residents or citizens of Canada studying in Ontario.
- Preferred qualifications: interest in long-term care; previous clinical placement, work or volunteer experience in geriatric healthcare; strong academic standing; ability to work collaboratively; professionalism; strong time management and communication skills; Microsoft Outlook and Office competency.
When does the internship take place?
- The internship is being offered to one cohort of interns over a temporary 4-week period from Monday, May 29, 2023 to Friday, June 23, 2023.
- Hours of work are Monday to Friday, 9:00am EST to 4:00pm EST. The Ontario CLRI and Baycrest recognize and permit flexible work hours for independent activities.
- Interns must complete all mandatory activities within the 4-week period to graduate and receive a Certificate of Completion.
Where does the internship take place?
- This Internship is delivered virtually, using online engagement platforms including Zoom and a simulation and game-based app.
- The Internship is only offered in English.
- Applicants residing across Ontario are encouraged to apply!
How do I apply?
- Applications will be accepted from February 13, 2023, 9:00am to March 3, 2023, 5:00pm EST.
- Applicants selected for interview will be contacted by March 17, 2023. Please note, if you have not heard from us by this date, your application has not proceeded to the interview round.
- Applicants from the interview round will be notified of our decision (i.e. accepted, waitlist) by April 6, 2023.
- Applications are submitted via a RedCap form, live on February 13, 2023.
- In the application, you will be required to submit the following:
- Personal demographics, education and work experience
- Up-to-date resume
- Unofficial transcript
- Self-recorded 2-minute video describing your interest in geriatrics and long-term care
- Short answer responses highlighting your competencies and insight to the sector
- Your resume should highlight accomplishments, initiative and creativity, as well as interprofessional, leadership and organizational skills. Please organize and include information in your resume on the following topics: Contact Information, Career Goals, Education, Clinical Placements, Work Experience, Volunteer Experience, Awards, Presentations and Publications, Memberships
- Instructions on uploading an unlisted YouTube video are available here.
- Applicants proceeding to the interview round must be able to provide 2 references who can comment on their educational and/or work experience.
If you have any questions about the Internship or application process, please email Tania Aragona, Coordinator, Ontario CLRI at Baycrest.