Excellence in Resident-Centred Care (ERCC) is a Conestoga College certificate program designed for Personal Support Workers (PSWs) to build practical skills using a person-centred approach.
ERCC uses a train-the-trainer model to build capacity within long-term care (LTC) homes. Select PSWs complete the ERCC Trainer Course to become Trainers and deliver the ERCC Team Member Course to fellow PSW Team Members within their LTC home. The education is delivered by Conestoga College, and features online registration and online course components delivered through the easy-to-use eConestoga platform.
The goal of ERCC is to support better care and better outcomes for residents in LTC, but it also benefits PSWs and LTC homes. ERCC has been shown to increase PSW self-confidence, job satisfaction and improve team morale.
Five features make this course unique:
- Practical care skills are taught within a resident-centred framework
- Visually enhanced learning objects bring course content to life
- Highly interactive course content allows students to directly apply new knowledge and skills their practice
- Course delivery uses a peer-led-train-the-trainer model where PSWs are certified to deliver the modules to their fellow team members
- Graduates receive a certificate from Conestoga College
Organizations that train 70% or more of their PSW team receive special recognition and a certificate.
About the Modules
ERCC is made up of 12 modules that represent salient topics identified in consultation with the LTC home sector. All 12 modules are covered in the ERCC Trainer Course and 7 modules are covered in the ERCC Team Member Course. Modules 1 and 12 are mandatory for team members, and the remaining modules can be selected by the LTC home. The modules include:
- Person-Centred Care
- Safety and Mobility
- Delirium, Dementia and Depression
- Palliative/End-of-Life Care
- Working with Others
- Infection Prevention and Control
- Oral Care and Skin Integrity
- Nutrition and Hydration
- Pain and Comfort
- Observational Assessment
Video about ERCC
In 2017-18 and 2018-19, the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care provided funding for ERCC tuition and backfill to Ontario long-term care homes through the Ontario CLRI PSW Education Fund. Applications are currently closed for the Fund.
For more information:
Contact Regina Dryngiewicz at 519-748-5220 ext. 3635