These sample role descriptions can be used for student placement opportunities in long-term care homes.
Please note: these descriptions are examples only and may not be applicable to each long-term care home, or may need to be adapted to match the requirements of the position.
Students volunteering or completing a co-op placement in LTC homes may be asked to:
- Communicate, engage and build connections with and between residents
- Assist residents with mobility – moving from one place to another
- Plan small group activities
- Set and clear tables, assist residents at mealtimes
- Assist residents with personal care tasks such as washing their face
For more information, please see the sample student role descriptions below.
Students with the following qualities will be well-suited to these roles:
- compassionate, friendly, positive attitude
- excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- time-management skills
- written communication ability
- confident and strong leader to facilitate group programs
- must work well collaboratively as well as independently
Students will need to familiarize themselves with various aspects of long-term care before volunteering or doing a co-op placement in LTC. Please see our training page for resources.
Learn More About Careers in LTC
Working in long-term care lets you pursue a career that lines up with your interests and skills! Explore the different roles you could take on throughout our Careers in Long-Term Care page.